Thursday, December 13, 2007

Week 6, Exercises 13-15

For this week I explored the social bookmarking manager del.icio.us which enable us to bookmark a web page and add tags (keywords) to categorise our books marks. I created my account and booksmarked several web pages. I could see how many people bookmarked the same web pages by clicking on the bookmark. I could also see their comments and tags they used to categorise the same bookmarked site. Delicious is a useful bookmarking tool tha can help a lot in researching. I displayed details about my del.icio.us network by using Network Badges.
Then I explored Technorati, did a keyword search in Advance search for Learning 2.0 in Blog posts, in tags and in the Blog Directory. The results were different (Posts - 2718; tagged posts - 1160; blogs about Learning 2.0 - 876). The Popular section was most interested for me because it includes the latest videos, books, news and movies.
Although my blog is probably already being captured by Technorati, I claimed my blog and created a watchlist.
Rank: 8,911,336
Tagged: civilization, classical, ancient period
Description: Archeological cites from classical period

Add to Technorati Favorites

It was really interesting to read the perspectives from the OCLC Next Space Newsletter. I like the video that illustrates Web 2.0. Technology and the Internet do change and affect the library services. Today libraries are moving out of the four walls and are taking their services to the users. Libraries have to incorporate ew technologies into their services to meet the user's needs. With the changes in technology, librarians are becoming more like teachers who have to put all their efforts in eliminating the barriers that exist between the patrons and the information they need. They need to assist the patrons to cope with the existing technology in the library. Sometimes I am looking back nostalgically to the time before the Internet revolution. People were studying, doing researches, writing good books, and reading books while lying in bed, etc. without the help of these new technological tools. I believe people were happier and life not so fast as today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool as another one ticked off